Jn 14:17 Acts 1:8 2Thess 2:13 Ps 15 &24 Micah 3:8 Jn/Ti3:5; 1Cor 6:19,; 12:13; Eph 1:13
The HS of Truth Empowers for Authentication Heb 2:4 Sanctification Rm 8:13 & Service 1Cor 12:7 (Regeneration, Indwelling, Baptism, Sealing)
Acts 7:51 "You stiff-necked and uncircumcised in heart and ears! You always resist the Holy Spirit; as your fathers did, so do you.
IV. B. NT Believers
Eph 1:7 redemption thru His blood, forgiveness 13 trusted, after heard the word of truth, believed, sealed w/ HS promise 14 earnest
1Cor 12:7 common good 13 Spirit..all baptized into one body..all drink one Spirit 1Cor 10 3:1 not speak to you as spiritual people but as carnal, as babes in Christ
Eph 4:11 He gave some apostles, some...12 for the equipping of the saints for the work of ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ, 13 until...16 iedify itself
Rm 6:11 reckon yourselves to be dead to sin, but alive to God 12 do not let sin reign in your mortal body, that you should obey it in its lusts.
Col 1:9 filled w/ the knowledge of His will by all spiritual wisdom & understanding, 10 that you may walk worthily of the Lord, to please him...
Rm 8:1 no condemnation to those who are in Christ, who do not walk acc to the flesh, but acc to the Spirit. 4 that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us who do not walk acc to the flesh but acc to the Spirit. 5 For those who live acc to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live acc to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit. 6 to be carnally minded is death, but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.
Rm 8:13 if you live acc to the flesh you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live 14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God. 16 witness. Mt 3:17 Beloved Son Mt 4:1 led by the Spirit (to triumph over the desires of the flesh)
Col 3:4 glory 5 put to death the earthly parts of your body Gal 5:24 Christ's crucified flesh 6 wrath.. children of disobedience 9 Put off 10 put on... be renewed
Eph 5:18 Don't be drunk with/by wine, in which is waste, but be filled/controlled 3:19 4:10 with/by the Spirit Gal 5:16 not fulfil lusts Rm 8:4
Gal 5:16 Walk by/in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh 25 If we live by/in the Spirit, let us also keep in step with the Spirit
Heb 13:21 equip/outfil you in every good work to do His will, working in you what is well pleasing in His sight, thru Jesus 2Cor 9:8
Word (Commands, Principles, Examples); Input; LOGIC; Leading of the HS (not feelings/peace/circumstances but supported conviction over time)
Life Plan to glorify God and serve others; Obey Great Commission; Grow in Grace (enablement and rewards); Increase Usefulness to the Master; Christlikeness/Faithfulness
V. God's Will for us is perfect, better than anything we could desire for ourselves, having objective and subjective aspects.
1) Best Rm 12:2 not conformed to world: be transformed by renewing of your mind...good, acceptable, and perfect, will of God.
Enduring 1Jn 2:15 Love not the world 16 lust of the flesh/eyes/pride 17 world/lust pass, but he that does the will of God abides for ever.
Holiness Gal 1:4 Who gave himself for our sins, to deliver us from this present evil world, acc to the will of God our Father
Intimacy Mk 3:35 For whoever shall do the will of God, the same is my brother, and my sister, and mother. Jn 14:15,21
2) Rewarded Heb 10:36 For ye have need of patience, that, after you have done the will of God, you may receive the promise.
Mt 7:21 Not every one...Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but who does the will of my Father who is in heaven
Raised Jn 6:38 came from heaven, not to do my own will, but the will of him that sent me. 39 And this is the Father's will...
Answers Jn 9:31 we know that God doesn't hear sinners: but if any is a worshipper of God, and does his will, He hears him 1Jn 3:22
3) Achievable Col 4:12 Epaphras...laboring fervently for you in prayers, that you may stand perfect & complete in all will of God
Knowable Jn 7:17 If any man will do his will, he shall know concerning the teaching whether...from God, or I speak from myself.
Revealed 1Th 4:1 how to walk to please God...2 commandments we gave 3 For this is the will of God, your sanctification, that you should abstain from immorality 4 possess body in sanctification and honor 18 In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God...
4) Energizing Jn 4:34 Jesus said to them, “My food is to do the will of Him that sent me, and to finish His work.” Jn 17:4
Heb 13:21 Make you perfect in every good work to do his will, working in you that which is wellpleasing in His sight... Mt 5:16
Delight Ps 40:8 I delight to do Your will, O my God: yes, Your law is within my heart. (see Part 2 - on putting the law in your heart)
5) Submission Jn 5:30 I can of my own self do nothing...I seek not my own will, but the will of the Father who has sent me.
Mt 26:42 second time, prayed, saying, O my Father, if this cup may not pass away from me, except I drink it, thy will be done Lk 22:42
1Pt 2:13 Submit yourselves...15 is the will of God, that by doing good ye may silence the ignorance of foolish men
6) Suffering 1Pr 3:17 For it is better, if the will of God is so, that you suffer for doing good, than for doing evil 2Tim 3:12
1Pt 4:1 arm w/ same mind: suffered in the flesh..ceased from sin 2 That he no longer should live the rest of his time in the flesh for the lusts of men, but to the will of God. 19..suffer acc to the will of God commit the keeping of their souls to him in doing good, as to a faithful Creator.
7) Rejectable Lk 7:30 the Pharisees and lawyers rejected the will of God for themselves, being not baptized by him (John). Acts 13:46
Consequential Lk 12:47 servant, who knew his lord's will, prepared not, nor did according to his will, shall be beaten with many.
Wrath Eph 2:3 we lived in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the will of the flesh and of the mind...children of wrath
Alternative 2Ti 2:26 they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him to dohis will.
Regretable Ps 106:15 And He gave them their request, but sent leanness into their soul. Num 11:29-35 grave of lustors; enclosed pasture
Questions for Reflection/Discussion/Response:
1. Is your life as good as it can be? What could make it better? Is God perfectly pleased with the glory He gets from you living His perfect will?
2. How do you know if you're following God's will or your (unsanctified) desires (lusts of flesh and mind), or Satan's will?
3. How would you differientiate the leading and the guiding of the Hs? Why would God guide us? Why would He have a will for us?
4. Can we know the “subjective will of God” if we're not following/dong the “obejctive will of God” (ie, not obeying, unholy, nor sanctified)?
5. How is the HS accomplishing His purposes in your life? What can you do this week to keep more in step with the Spirit?