Greatest Commandments: Pt 2A Loving Others
Download MS Word File
Mk 12:29 Jesus answered "The most important of all the commandments is: 'Hear, O Israel, the LORD our God, the LORD is one. 30 And you shall love the LORD your God with all your heart decisons, with all your soul m/w/e, with all your mind discern-Eph, and with all your strength.'
Loyalty: Hesed (covenantal faithfulness) to God's reputation (glory) and agenda, depending only on Him for our needs and desires
1. Love is a decision (based on knowledge) and a commitment to self-sacrificially do what is in another's best interest regardless of response Jn 3
2. Old Command Lev 19:15 You shall do no injustice 16 You shall not go about as a slanderer 17 You shall not hate your brother in your heart. You shall surely rebuke your neighbor, and not support his sin. 18 You shall not take vengeance, nor bear any grudge against the children of your people, but you shall love your neighbor as yourself: I am the LORD. 34 love strangers as self 36 honesty
New Command Jn 13:34 A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another. 35 By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another." 17:23...I in them, and You in Me; that they may be made perfect in unity, and that the world may know that You have sent Me and have loved them as You have loved Me. 26...that the love...
Jn 15:12 This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. 17 These things I command you, that you love one another.
Eph 4:2 (worthy) w/ all lowliness and meekness, w/ longsuffering, bearing w/ one another in love 3 endeavoring to keep the unity of HS...
3. Concl: Mt 7:12 whatever you want men to do to you, do also to them, for this is the Law and the Prophets22:40 Js 2:8 13 Enter by the narrow gate...wide..destruction 14 Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it
4. Add 2Pt 1:7 (add to your faith: virtue, knowledge, self-control, perseverance) godliness brotherly kindness, and to brotherly kindness love
5. How Rm 13:8 Owe no one anything except to love one another, for he who loves another has fulfilled the law. 9 the commandments...are all summed up in You shall love your neighbor as yourself 10 Love does no harm/evil to a neighbor; therefore love is the fulfillment of the law. cf Rm8:4
Rm 12:17 repay no one evil for evil. Have regard for good things in the sight of all men. 21 Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.
1Pt 3:8 Finally, all of you be of one mind, having compassion for one another; love as brothers, be tenderhearted, be courteous; 9 not returning evil for evil or reviling for reviling, but on the contrary blessing, knowing that you were called to this, that you may inherit a blessing.
1Thess 5:15 See that no one renders evil for evil to anyone, but always pursue what is good both for yourselves and for all.
6. Loyalty to others flows out of God's Hesed (love & forgiveness) toward us Col 3:12 holy and beloved, put on compassion, goodness, humility, meekness, longsuffering; 13 bearing with one another, and forgiving one another, if anyone has a complaint against another; even as Christ forgave you, so you also must do14 But above all these things put on love, which is the bond of perfection. Jn 15 Rm 12:10
7. Other-centredness Phil 2:3 do nothing thru selfish ambition or vainglory, but in humility let each esteem others better/more important than himself. 4 Let each of you look out not only for his own interests, but also for the interests of others. Eph 5:29 nourish cherish
8. Volitional Valuing: we must choose to value what God values as our highest good and action/attitude determiner=the benefit of others
1Pt 1:22 you purified your souls in obeying the truth thru the Spirit for a sincere love of the brethren, love one another fervently with a pure heart
9. Edification Rm 14:19 15:2 each of us please his neighbor for his good, leading to edification 3 as Christ did not please Himself Heb 10:24-25
10. Serving and Sharing Gal 5:13 called to liberty; only do not use liberty as an opportunity for the flesh, but thru love serve one another.
Questions for Reflection/Discussion/Response: