Good Works, Good Lord, Good Glory - part 2
Download MS Word File
Ephesians 2:10 Good Works, Good Lord, Good Glory
Eph 2:10 For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them.
Definition: Good works are purposeful Christlike actions, prompted and enabled by the HS of grace, which eternally benefit others (through having real needs met), God (by making Him look good in the eyes of others) and ourselves (through growth and reward). Proclamation is no substitute for Authentication (and vise versa)
12. Mature believers are to be models of GW, flowing out of sober-objective thinking and an unreproachable life Titus 2:6 Likewise exhort the young men to be sober-minded, 7 in all things showing yourself to be a example of good works; in doctrine showing integrity, reverence, incorruptibility, 8 sound speech that cannot be condemned, that one who is an opponent may be ashamed, having nothing evil to say of you.
13. We're to be as zealous for GW as we are for.....GW are a purpose of our redemption, and the result of a purified life (no purity, no good GW [are there bad GW?]). Titus 2:14 Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify to himself his own special people, zealous for good works.
14. Knuckleheads must be reminded to do/maintain GW, and such GW are profitable for those doing them (as well as those benefited by them) Titus 3:8 This is a faithful saying, and these things I will that you affirm constantly, that they who have believed in God may be careful to maintain good works. These things are good and profitable to men. 14 And let ours also learn to maintain good works for necessary uses, that they may not be unfruitful.
15. We have the responsibility to put some decent mental effort into inciting each other to acts of love as well as GW, part of the means of such incitement is assembling and shouting at each other Heb 10:24 And let us consider one another to stir up to love and to good works: 25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves, as the manner of some; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as you see the day approaching.
16. GW will even win over those who are hostile or antagonistic to Christianity [Sometimes]. (The evil-doing in this verse is the irreligious act of refusing to burn incense to the Emperor as deity). 1Pt 2:12 having your conduct honorable among the Gentiles, that when they speak against you as evildoers, they may, by your good works which they observe, glorify God in the day of visitation.
18. The GW in this context is that of giving to Paul's ministry. The GW was motivated by God. Phlp 1:6 Being confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:
19. It pleases God when we have fruitful GW (our GW accomplish their intend aim or GW are the means of being faithful) Col 1:10 That you may walk worthy of the Lord to all pleasing, being fruitful in every good work, and increasing in the knowledge of God
20. God gives us the strength (currency) to the business of GW 2Th 2:16 Now our Lord Jesus Christ himself, and God, even our Father, who hath loved us, and has given us everlasting consolation and good hope through grace, 17 Comfort your hearts, and establish you in every good word and work. Phlp 2:13 For it is God who works in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.
21. GW are pleasing to God, the will of God, to the Glory of God, and the result of being perfected Heb 13:20 Now may the God of peace who brought up our Lord Jesus from the dead, that great Shepherd of the sheep, through the blood of the everlasting covenant, 21 make you complete/perfect in every good work to do His will, working in you what is well pleasing in His sight, through Jesus Christ, to whom be glory forever and ever. Amen Ps 40:8 I delight to do thy will, O my God: yea, thy law [is] within my heart.
23. GW are rewarded and usually appear to be toward the saints Heb 6:10 For God is not unrighteous to forget your work and labor of love, which you have shown toward his name, in that you have ministered to the saints, and do minister.
Questions for Reflection/Discussion/Response: