17 Honor all people…18 Servants, be submissive to your masters
with all fear, not only to the good and gentle, but also to the harsh.
19 For this is commendable, if because of conscience toward God
one endures grief, suffering wrongfully.
20 For what credit is it if, when you are beaten for your faults, you take it
patiently? But when you do good and suffer, if you take it patiently,
=» this is commendable before God.
5 Bondservants, be obedient to those who are your masters
acc to the flesh, with fear and trembling, in sincerity of heart, as to Christ;
6 not with eyeservice, as men-pleasers, but as bondservants of Christ,
doing the will of God from the heart, *
7 with goodwill doing service, as to the Lord, and not to men,
=»8 knowing that whatever good anyone does, he will receive the same from the Lord, whether he is a slave or free. 9 And you, masters, do the same things to them, giving up threatening, =»knowing that your own Master also is in heaven, and there is no partiality with Him.
22 Bondservants, obey in all things your masters according to the flesh, not with eyeservice, as men-pleasers, but in sincerity of heart, fearing God.
23 And whatever you do, do it heartily, as for the Lord rather than for men; 24 =»knowing from the Lord you'll receive reward of inheritance.
It is Christ whom you serve
Play = effort expended voluntarily, in expectation of an inconsequential reward.
Work = effort expended (usually under compulsion) in expectation of a reward of significant/vital consequence.
Work is worship (and witness) if done with the right motives and attitudes.
Ordained by God for our benefit (as are all God's commands Ex 20:9)
Rewarding and rewarded (2x) if done Biblically
Konsists of serving another's needs (helping them reach their objectives).
- Do I obey my boss' explicit instructions and implicit desires to the degree that delights him? (cx corporate objectives?)
- Are my motives pure in working? (serve Christ or self?)
- Do I work as hard when he's gone as when he's hovering over my desk?
- Am I perceived as a servant of Christ?
- Do I please men so they'll like me or Christ so He'll reward me?
- =» Do I embrace my work as the will of God? *
- Am I wholehearted and wholesouled in my service?
- Do I exude an attractive attitude of cheerful good will, even in the midst of difficulties?
- Do I view my work as loving service?
- Am I conscious of earning Christ's reward as I toil?