Simon Simple and Nellie Naive
The Simple is open-minded (=empty headed). Because of his lack of appropriation of God's Word, he has not developed a Biblical value system and godlly prejudices. He is not yet a fool, but is headed in that direction unless he makes some key decisions.
- headed for destruction, will shoot self in the foot, loves the way he is, not very teachable 1:22
- is inclined toward backsliding 1:32 will not inherit life, but folly 14:18
- gets into all kinds of trouble because he doesn't know how to protect himself 22:3
- aimless/purposeless, and thus open to temptation, puts self in potentially dangerous situations 7:7-8
- believes anything, not discerning, neither evaluative nor purposeful in his life 14:15
- doesn't learn at the low volume level 19:25
- doesn't forsee evil but blindly rushes into it, always suffering its consequences 22:3
- mule-headed, and usually must be pushed into making the right decision Ps 32:9
- understanding/insight Pr 7:7; Ps 119 (understanding is the ability to consider and discern a best course of action, by first not being blinded by desire, and secondly, having an firm evaluative (value) system against which one can compare observations.
- wisdom, and thus fear of the Lord Ps 19:7 (choice of the right objectives and the right mweans of obtaining those objectives
- lacks prudence Pr 1:4
- gaining prudence and wisdom (they dwell together Pr 8:12):
- the light of the law of the Lord Ps 19:7, 119:130
- becoming a devotee of proverbs (the purpose of proverbs Pr 1:4)
- partaking of the feast of wisdom, then forsaking their simplicity 9:5-6
- regarding reproof 15:5 and forsaking his current path Pr 9:16
- turning up the volume of correction 19:25; 21:11
Ps 19:7 The law of the LORD is perfect, converting the soul: the testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple. 119:130 The entrance of thy words gives light; it gives understanding to the simple.
Pr 1:4 To give prudence to the simple, to the young man knowledge and discretion.
Pr 1:22 How long, ye simple ones, will ye love simplicity? and the scorners delight in their scorning, and fools hate knowledge?
Pr 1:32 For the turning away of the simple shall slay them, and the prosperity of fools shall destroy them.
Pr 7:7 beheld among the simple ones, I discerned among the youths, a young man void of understanding
Pr 8:5 O ye simple, understand wisdom: and, ye fools, be ye of an understanding heart.
Pr 9:4 Whoever [is] simple, let him turn in here: [as for] him that lacketh understanding, she saith to him,
Pr 9:6 Forsake the foolish=simple, and live; and go in the way of understanding.
Pr 9:16 Whoever is simple, let him turn in here: and him that lacks understanding, she saith to him,
Pr 14:15 The simple believeth every word: but the prudent [man] looketh well to his going.
Pr 14:18 The simple inherit folly: but the prudent are crowned with knowledge.
Pr 19:25 Smite a scorner, and the simple will beware: and reprove one that hath understanding, [and] he will understand knowledge. 21:11 When the scorner is punished, the simple is made wise: and when the wise is instructed, he receiveth knowledge.
Pr 22:3 A prudent man foreseeth the evil, and hides himself: but the simple pass on, and are punished.
Pr 27:12 A prudent man foresees the evil, and hides himself; but the simple pass on, and are punished.
Gaining Understanding: Understanding leads to greater obedience and begets more understanding
Ask for it wholeheartedly Ps 119:34 Give me understanding, and I shall keep thy law; yea, I shall observe it with [my] whole heart.
Obey what you know Ps 119:100 I understand more than the ancients, because I keep thy precepts.
Find the what, how and why of the Word Ps 119:104 Through thy precepts I get understanding: therefore I hate every false way.
Seek it with yieldedness Ps 119:125 I am thy servant; give me understanding, that I may know thy testimonies.
Welcome the Word with open windows Ps 119:130 The entrance of thy words giveth light; it giveth understanding to the simple.
Value it Ps 119:144 The righteousness of thy testimonies [is] everlasting: give me understanding, and I shall live.
Ask & Seek Ps 119:169 TAU. Let my cry come near before thee, O LORD: give me understanding according to thy word.
Pr 14:6 A scorner seeketh wisdom, and [findeth it] not: but knowledge [is] easy to him that understandeth.
SIMPLE 06612 p@thiy from 06601; TWOT - 1853a AV - simple 15, simple ones 2, foolish 1, simplicity 1; 19 n f 1) simplicity, naivete adj 2) simple, foolish, open-minded
06601 pathah v AV - entice 10, deceive 8, persuade 4, flatter 2, allure 1, enlarge 1, silly one 1, silly 1; 28
1) to be spacious, be open, be wide 1a) (Qal) to be spacious or open or wide 1b) (Hiphil) to make spacious, make open 2) to be simple, entice, deceive, persuade 2a) (Qal) 2a1) to be open-minded, be simple, be naive 2a2) to be enticed, be deceived 2b) (Niphal) to be deceived, be gullible 2c) (Piel) 2c1) to persuade, seduce 2c2) to deceive 2d) (Pual) 2d1) to be persuaded 2d2) to be deceived
Pr 9:13 A foolish woman [is] clamorous: [she is] simple, and knoweth nothing.
PRUDENCE 06195 `ormah from 06193; TWOT - 1698b; AV - guile 1, wilily 1, subtilty 1, wisdom 1, prudence 1; 5 1) shrewdness, craftiness, prudence
06193 `orem from 06191; n m AV - craftiness 1; 1 1) subtlety, shrewdness, craftiness
06191 `aram a primitive root; v AV - subtilty 1, crafty 1, prudent 1, beware 1, very 1; 5 1) to be subtle, be shrewd, be crafty, beware, take crafty counsel, be prudent 1a) (Qal) to be crafty, be subtle 1b) (Hiphil) to be crafty, be or become shrewd
Cartoon the simpleton on a trip, responding to the feast, forsaking the hard way, eating the various elements of wisdom, personified as fine food and great desserts.
* Both wisdom and folly offer the same invitation. Wisdom however, has done her work and prepared fine food, and sends out her madiens with the invitation. Folly offers no substantial feast, but rather a temporary passing pleasure, and a diet of lies appealing to the senses.