Crossing the Goal Line
Phil 3:12-15 – Not that I have already attained, or am already perfected; but I press on, that I may lay hold of that for which Christ Jesus has also laid hold of me. 13 …forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead, 14 I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. 15 Therefore let us, as many as are MATURE, have this mind...
I. The Most Crucial Goal Setting Step – Is it God’s Will?
If a goal is God’s will, you can…
Phil 2:12 – …as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling; for it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure
Hebrews 12:4 – You have not yet resisted to bloodshed, striving against sin
1 Thes 4:3 - This is the will of God for you, your sanctification
II. How Do You Determine Goals That Are God’s Will?
A. Will of God –
Word (Commands, Principles, Examples); Input from others; Logic; Leading of HS (not feelings/peace, circumstances, but conviction)
B. Input is key
C. We’re blind to a majority of our faults
D. God put us in a body
E. Input can help us frame our goals
III. Realizing Your Godly Goals – 5 Tips
1. Do things differently (Don’t be an Insane Goal Pursuer)
2. Visualize (Don’t be a Sergeant Schultz Goal Pursuer…”I see nothing”)
3. Shine More Light on Your Goals (Don’t Be a “Where Are My Goals” Goal Pursuer)
4. Sell Yourself on Your Goals – (Don’t Be an Unsold Goal Pursuer)
5. Be Honest about Your Downtime (Don’t Be a Harry Houdini Goal Pursuer)
1. If you determine that a goal is God’s will for you, can that change at some point during the year?
2. How has God helped you to hit some of your goals?
3. Have you dissected any of your goals to address underlying issues that may block success? Can you share an example with the group?
4. Some people say goals aren’t appropriate for the Christian life, so how would you respond to that?
5. Why do we engage in escape-like activities such as BrickBreaker on our blackberry, TV watching and munching on extra snacks?
6. How can we better encourage others in their goal pursuits? What has helped you?
Perseverance - Roger Bannister on being able to set track records…
“It's the ability to take more out of yourself than you've got.”